Monday, November 17, 2008

So She Really IS Sugar and Spice?

We had the first real snow here this morning - my favorite kind, too - that big, fluffy stuff that sticks in all the branches and tall grasses. Makes for some nice scenery . . . and some bad drivers.
Ok, so here's the news from last week's test: unlike other people, who will either be well below or well above a threshold, I am just over - four points over the limit after a fast, and one flipping point over while zooming on glucose. Still, according to the doc, one point over is still considered in the zone for gestational diabetes, so I have it. Poopy. The good news is that they are planning to treat it with diet, as opposed to insulin shots (at this point, anyway), so I will meet with the dietitian tomorrow to find out how to test my own blood sugar (sounds ominous) and learn what I shouldn't be eating that apparently I have been eating but didn't know was giving me issues. Unfortunately, the first thought that comes to mind is that I can't have sweet stuff, which I normally don't gravitate to much, but now WANT. And what really honks me off was talking to a person the other day who gained 56 pounds with her recent bundle, having eaten ice cream, milk shakes, chocolate and all the otherr junk food crap that you're supposed to do in low doses (or balanced with good stuff) and she never contracted gestational diabetes - nor has she had a problem loosing all that baby weight. Makes me sick. Of course, I am old enough to be her mother . . .but that is beside the point. Maybe it was because she had a boy and I'm having a girl - girls are made of sugar and spice, right?

No comments: